Saturday, 22 May 2010


I decided to finally have some fun and so I photographed my puzurs in all different ways.

Friday, 21 May 2010


For a successful process there is a need for a good system. I've learnt that doing things in certain order and following certain methods I can achieve maximum productivity.

I believe that the structure of puzurs proposes balance and harmony in everyday life and successful design work relies on this also. Another reason behind making puzurs that I hadn't mentioned before was the sustainability factor, using natural materials like reeds to demonstrate creative process. As well as for my booklet, the choice of recycled paper.


Thursday, 20 May 2010


I feel I have finally reached the finish line, as I've done all the calculations on how much more straws I will need, to make my puzurs 35 cm diameter. It will be in the form of upside down pyramid. I decided this to reflect on my learning process – progression through the time.
Starting from just one crystal that builds up into more and more complex layers reflecting on the knowledge I've gained.
The puzurs will consist from 91 octahedrons and 1092 pieces of straw.

Wednesday, 19 May 2010


It took me again a lot longer than planned to print my booklet.
I had already bought extra paper sheets for all various errors of printing. Getting this double-side booklet printed and folded to work as perfectly as possible, without sending it to professional printers was a result of lots and lots of prints and tryouts.

Tuesday, 18 May 2010


Discussing the puzuri making process I think I need to admit that the actions were a repeat of the same procedure over and over again. For example like cutting straws that seemed like an endless job. But I'm happy to come to the point where I can see the whole structure finally coming together. And put a full stop to the cutting process.

Monday, 17 May 2010


After some test prints I made my final decision on the choice of paper for the booklet.
I then printed the making process on the two formats and made a decision on the square one, as I felt it worked better with the way the pictures were cropped.

Square format
Rectangular format


I have thought of few ways my puzurs could be presented in the Degree Show.
In all the cases I would like the puzurs to be suspended from the ceiling. And project light towards it to create shadows.

Project the light attached to the walls on both sides of puzurs.
Underneath have the straw leftovers from making puzurs.
Project the light attached to the walls on both sides of puzurs.
Suspend a curved screen behind or in front of the puzurs, as well as in case I couldn't have a corner space.
Project the light from a free standing light source.
Underneath have the straw leftovers from making puzurs.

Sunday, 16 May 2010


Even though I haven't reached the amount of little crystals/octahedrons I have planned to make, I decided to start to work on the main, final structure. I had decided to leave it to the final stage, but I felt I was getting to the point where I had to make a decision and see how I can make the structure, leaving time to plan the size of the box I will need for the hand in.

I have documented the very first stage of making the actual puzurs tying together all the crystal shapes.

Saturday, 15 May 2010


I've planned the 'puzuri' making process and divided it in the 12 sections. Using photos I hope to explain the way 'puzuri' are made.

Wednesday, 12 May 2010


I had made a decision about the paper folding possibilities, I needed to decide on the paper so I would have my starting point - single sheet size to find out the spread size and do the page layouts for the explanation of my thought process.
I bought several recycled and hand-made papers and did a few test prints as I'm planning to print on inkjet printer.

Tuesday, 11 May 2010


All the ideas and tryouts lead to the use of the most simple form, where the booklet is created from one single sheet just folding it in a certain way with a cut or two.
So I was looking to create 12 sections to reflect on my 'puzuri' as each unit consists of 12 straw pieces. I started with a single piece of paper and found 2 ways of folding each reflecting on the square shape in a single page or a spread that I thought was another good way how to indicate the connection with the shape of 'puzuri'.

Monday, 10 May 2010


After discussion with bookbinding tutor Douglas I decided first to make a decision about the format of my booklet. I believe it's going to reflect better on my process based thinking and planning.
I tried out various formats, but decided not to put too much emphasis on the design of it as it's just complimenting and explaining what my project is about not being a project in itself.